Thursday 12 May 2011

Betty Driver

Betty Driver ‘doing well’ according to Corrie star
Betty Driver

Get well soon: Corrie co-star sources say Betty is doing well Pic: © ITV 
Coronation Street’s Julie Hesmondhalgh has tweeted just hours after co-star Betty Driver was rushed to hospital, reportedly suffering from pneumonia, to reassure fans about the 90-year-old’s health.
Playing long-standing character Hayley Cropper in the soap, the actress tweeted: “Betty is, according to my sources, doing well. I'm sure she's feeling the love! Xxx”
Betty has played barmaid and ‘hot pot’ extraordinaire Betty Williams since 1969 and is well-loved both by her fans and on-screen co-workers.
As an ITV spokesperson confirmed the news of Betty’s ill-health on Thursday (May 11) and wished the actress “a speedy recovery”, the news became a Twitter trend as Corrie celebs joined in to offer their well-wishes.
Kym Marsh said: “Oh no!!! Just heard about Betty driver! I am so hoping she gets well!
“She is a legend and I love her to bits x. Come on Betty u can do it x”
Corrie newbie Chris Fountain also re-tweeted a message of support, saying “Get well soon, Betty Driver!”
Betty was hospitalised last year with a chest infection but was determined to keep her acting life in check and made a return to the small screen.
“I love working on the Street because everyone on it is like my family,” she told The Sun. I don't want to leave at all - I want to die on set."